post-title Living in Spain Post Brexit

Living in Spain Post Brexit

Living in Spain Post Brexit

Living in Spain Post Brexit

Since the UK has left the EU there has been some fallout and Brits in Spain are starting to realise the implications of becoming a 3rd country. Along with much scaremongering on social media and some local newspapers, here are some facts to help you.


If you live in Spain permanently you will need to register as a resident, if you’re already a registered as a resident with a A4 green paper or card, exchange it for the new TIE, we found the simplest way is to use a Gestoria.

They will tell you all the documents that are required, here´s a list for you to help you get ready.

  • Residents Paper (green paper with your NIE number)
  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Empadromiento (Padron Municipal) You can get this from your local council office.
  • Photos
  • Form EX23 (this will be completed by your Gestoria)
  • Payment confirmation from bank for each application 12.00 Euros

The process was very simple, our gestor made the appointment and gave us our pack of docs, we arrived at Estepona National Police Station with our name on the list, asked to go to the booth, and finger prints and docs were presented, 4 weeks later we had another appointment to collect our new TIE cards, we surrendered our old A4 residents papers and finger prints were taken again for confirmation.

Visitors to Spain

If you are a British person who spends your holidays in Spain or visits the country for short periods of time then very little will change on how you enter or exit the EU.

If you spend less than 90 days in Spain over the course of 180 days then you will not be impacted by entry or exit visa requirements and you can continue to enjoy your holidays as you always have right now.

By the end of 2022, however, you may have to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver before you enter Spain.

This is a simple online application that will allow you to enter the Schengen Area with minimal hassle and paperwork.

Shengen Visa Info here.

This same rule applies to individuals who own second homes in Spain, but only visit for relatively short periods of time. Provided you spend less than 90 days in Spain in each 180 day period, you will still be able to enter and leave the country as you always have, without any extra paperwork.

When you are clearing immigration at your Spanish arrival airport you will need to enter the non-EU passengers queue rather than the passengers arriving from the EU line.

It’s worth noting that, whether you live in Spain or are just visiting for a short trip, you will need to have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport in order to enter Spain.

All information is correct at time of publishing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *